Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Washington DC - The US Capital Wants YOU! - State # 8





Yes, I know Washington DC is not a state, but it is called the 50 State Project Plus DC (Woo Hoo) so technically there are 51 "states" to visit.  This trip came as a surprise and what a surprise it was.  Because we weren't there very long, I would like to go back and spend some real time in DC to see some more sites as less than 24 hours does not do it justice.  Just know, what we did see was crazy!  Onto the blog...





My dear friend Noah had asked me to keep a few days open in the beginning of April for a surprise he had prepared for my birthday.  I figured we would be enjoying some local sites around New York City, but Noah doesn't roll that way.  So, that Wednesday morning he asked me to pack a bag, feed my cat and bring something to read.  Of course, my reaction was to ask why, but Noah is a man of mystery and refused to say what we were doing.

I continued arguing for 15 minutes while I packed my bags but I  could see that I wasn't anywhere closer to finding out the truth.  Why?  Because Noah is a stubborn person!  So, we took the subway to Penn Station and headed towards a bus going to Washington, DC.  Yes, Washington DC.  I was confused; I had never expressed a desire to see DC.  Ever!  Not that I have a problem with Washington DC, I was sure it was lovely, but there were so many other places that had sparked my interest and DC was not high on my list.

Again, I turned to Noah asking why we were going to DC.  He refused to answer the question saying that it sounded like a fun place to go.  Huh?  I know it is the US Capital and all but most people I had spoken to who had visited Washington DC did not use the word fun, it isn't Orlando.  But he had the tickets and I am not one to insult my dear friends so I shut up and enjoyed the ride; all 220 miles of it!

We got there during the early evening, though there wasn't much see at the bus terminal unfortunately, well, except for the usual things that you would expect to see at a bus station.  We began walking away from the bus terminal at a hurried pace.  I wanted to check out DC since I was there but Noah said we had to hurry.  Hurry?  We just got there and wasn't the whole purpose of coming to DC to see what it had to offer?  I couldn't take it anymore!  I am not good with surprises and I think Noah knew he was pushing me too far.  Well, that and I wouldn't move until I knew where I was going and why I wasn't allowed to be a tourist.

He came clean.  We were there for the Tori Amos concert.  Ah Tori, the woman who helps young women get through their womanly angst.  Now it all made sense!  All of a sudden Washington DC was looking really good!

We didn't have much time to get to the concert but Noah had done his research and knew what bus line would get us there.  So, we hopped the bus we needed and enjoyed the view  Which wasn't much considering it was getting dark and we were mostly in what appeared to be a residential area.  The neighborhood changed the further we went along until we were just confused.

Our stop was coming up and we pulled the cord three times, but the bus driver was giving directions to somebody sitting in the front seat which is great, but his primary role is to pick up people and then let them off; we wanted off.  So we stood up and told him we needed him to stop, which he did.  Then he apologized and gave us some advice: walk quickly and stay on the main road 15 blocks back and 4 streets up, this wasn't a good neighborhood, especially at night.  With that he pulled away to finish his rounds.  Not the kind of advice you want to hear while stranded in a strange city.

So, we doubled back.  But Noah decided that he knew a short cut.  How he knew this supposed short cut in DC when he had never been to the city before I will never understand.  So, stupidly, we went against the bus driver's advice because Noah's reason was we lived in NYC and we could handle anything.

Famous last words.  Within 5 minutes we were lost and trying to back track in the general direction he had pointed us to.  We also realized that we were being followed by a shady character who was trying to match our pace and get closer to us.  I began to panic but in a quiet fashion which usually consists of mumbling various four letter words under my breath.  But Noah stayed calm and began to act like he was crazy by pretending he had all kinds of physical ticks and convulsions to scare the guy off.  Interesting tactic!  I casually looked back to see he was still following us.  Noah and I devised a plan.  If he got any closer we would jump him!  We both figured he was a lot smaller than Noah and between the two of us it was possible we could have taken him.  But I have to say I really wasn't really in the mood.   Beating someone up is not how you want to start your first trip to Washington DC.  I don't recommend it to anyone!

After a couple more minutes, we walked around the corner to see the concert hall in the distance.  It was in a completely safe area.  How was this possible?  What a difference a few blocks can make.  We turned around to see that our freaky friend was gone as well; he had disappeared into the gloom of the night along with the rest of the DC mole people.  Washington DC was a strange town! 

After all the drama getting there, the concert was fabulous!  It was so good, I didn't even mind the 50 minute wait afterwards to get a taxi and had even quit cursing the bus driver's name.  Noah had originally planned on us returning to NYC that night, but it was 11:45PM and there was no way I was going back as I hadn't seen DC.  So, we directed the cabbie to take us to a decent hotel for a cheaper price.  He knew where to go, so we checked in.

But wait, we couldn't sleep yet!  So we left the hotel and headed out to the Washington Monument.  It was pretty cool as it was completely lit up!   We took a few photos of the structure itself and then two of us beside it.  I think they were really great photos if memory serves me right, but for some reason they went missing.  Blackmail perhaps?

Not five minutes later we were joined by a group of guys who had apparently had a few too many and wanted us to take their photo with the Washington Monument.  The best part was that most likely, the next morning, they would not remember taking these photos as they  could barely speak or stand.  I always love those photos!  At least they were thoughtful drunks and offered us a swig of whatever they had in their backpack; we declined and headed back to the hotel.  Washington DC at night was too bizarre for words and we wanted to get some sleep for some DC fun in the morning with some sane people.

The next day was promising as it was a beautiful morning and unlike the night before, the streets were teeming with people; normal people!  Seriously, it was one of the bluest skies I have ever seen, please see the pictures if you don't believe me.  Incredible!  It was quite a contrast from the night before where the streets were completely deserted.  Apparently, Thursday means business as usual and we were glad to be back in the land of the living.

We began our morning with a visit to the White House just in case we ran out of time.  You can't miss the White House while in DC, no you really can't as it is quite large!  On our way there, I grabbed a coffee as mornings are not my friend and made it over to the front gate.

There it was, in all its glory!  Sure it was surrounded by a huge gate and I couldn't get anywhere near it, but still, it was amazing.   Especially with a coffee in my hand to tame the morning chill.  Sure it isn't the most architecturally interesting building, but it's the freakin' White House!

Unfortunately, we couldn't stay at any place for too long as we were on limited time.  So, we decided we were fans of Abraham Lincoln and wanted to say "hi".  So, off we went to see his memorial.  On our way there we ended up on a trail that led us to a grove of trees.   In front of us was a huge wall that stretched out in front of us, glistening in the late morning sun.  What we had stumbled upon was the Vietnam Memorial Wall in the Constitutional Gardens. 

Construction began on the The Vietnam Veterans Memorial or The Wall March 11, 1982 and was completed on November 11, 1984 at the cost $9,000,000 which was paid for entirely by private contributions.

This is a very touching piece regardless of your feelings on the Vietnam War. 58,256 people died during the years of 1961 to 1972; this number doesn't hit home until you see it laid out on the simple black granite walls.  These were individuals whose lives were taken prematurely before the prime of their lives making it very humbling.  There were so many people there the day we went, but it was very quiet.  The only thing that could be heard was the sounds of birds in the nearby trees.  This is such a simple yet touching memorial and definitely worth seeing if you go to Washington DC.  

We were glad we were sidetracked by this piece but after about twenty minutes we continued our journey towards the Lincoln Memorial.  It's pretty close to The Wall and very hard to miss.  Just pass the Reflecting Pool and head up to the stairs to see Lincoln himself!  Well, the likeness that is.  If Lincoln was really there that would have really put a damper on the mood since he died in 1865.

Heading up the stairs, you feel as if you have stepped into Ancient Greece for a moment, except it was a lot chillier than I imagine Greece would be at that time of year.  The Lincoln Memorial is in the style of a Greek Doric Temple and is made out of limestone and Yule Marble, while the actual statue of Lincoln is made from Georgian Marble.  It was completed in May 1922.

Lincoln was as cool as I thought he would be and a lot bigger.  Apparently, he is 19FT tall, which I wouldn't doubt.  I felt completely dwarfed while in his presence.  While doing The Thinker Pose in front of the statue, I was delighted to be greeted with the beautiful sight of The Reflection Pool.  We decided to do a a few Where's Waldo photos near the base of the steps of the Lincoln Memorial for each of us before we both met at The Reflecting Pool.  

There was a child next to me who was way too close to the water on his stomach.  I had to keep an eye on him as he leaned closer to stare into the water.  I don't know where the child's parents were but he was making me nervous.  Not that the pool is really that deep, 18 inches and the kid was about 9, but still his parents should be watching him.  Though, he did keep me entertained as he poked his hands through the water looking for fish.  Bad parent rant done!

Our last stop on the trip before we headed back to the train station was the Capitol Building which was quite a ways from where we were .  But we didn't mind as we would be sitting on our butts for the next couple of hours so we welcomed the  hike.  Unfortunately, we didn't get too close because we had to be back into NYC by a certain time to meet friends for dinner.  Yep, it looked just like it does on TV; we were satisfied and moved on.

I really wished we had had more time in Washington DC, because less than 24 hours is just not enough time.  I would love to have gotten to see all of the building lit up at night even though doing so we would mean running the risk of having to deal with the mole people again.  But some things are worth the complications.  


No comments:

Post a Comment