Thursday, September 23, 2010

I Love Gort!



Kilmacduagh


Gort, what a great name for a great place!  A friend of mine had mentioned that there was a very cool place called the Burren in Gort and was definitely worth the time to get there if you were near the Cliffs of Moher.  Since we were close by in Doolin, we figured why not?  Technically, it was on our way back to Dublin. 

On the Road to Kilmacduagh
Going the way we ended up going made it so it wasn't really that close, partly because we took a wrong turn again.  The road on the map told us to go straight.  Straight ended up taking us to a road that would be used for the locals to get to their houses and farms.  At first, we thought it was just another small Irish road, but then when we hit pure gravel and the roads were for one person, we realized the map had messed with us yet again.  Apparently, straight meant left.

Something worth noting that I really enjoyed while traveling in Ireland was that when you are passing through the smaller less populated areas  the people will look up from their work on the farms and houses and wave at you.  This happened several times while we were driving.  Even though they knew we weren't from their neighborhood, they didn't care, they would wave and smile.  

When we got lost trying to get to Gort for the second time, we came upon a man walking from his farm.  We pulled over and asked if he knew how to get to Gort.  At first I thought he would be freaked because he didn't know who we were, but he smiled and told us in great detail how to get there.  These people were just so nice!  There were times where after asking directions from a stranger they would tell us to be safe.  How great is that!  It was like having Mom in Ireland with me!
More Sheep!

The roads to Gort were probably the worst we would encounter on our trip around Ireland.  Not scary in the way that the roads on the Ring of Kerry were, but more on the level of the roads were small, overgrown and paved poorly.  In fact, this was where we almost got hit head-on by another car as many of the drivers in this area tend to drive in the middle of the road even on the curves where there is no visibility.  The threat of death will sure keep you on your toes!

Celtic Crosses
After following the man's directions from earlier, we came upon the road he told us would be hard to find.  There in the distance were stonewalls and several old structures, including a tall tower.  We parked the car and were delighted to see that this area is so far out that there wasn't anybody else there.  Towards the end we ran into a few people from Ireland, but besides that it was pretty barren.  I enjoyed that this wasn't a tourist trap and in my opinion, it was the highlight of my trip.

I can't even express how amazing this site is.  The pictures I took didn't do it justice.  The Burren or rather the Kilmacduagh is a set of ruins of a 7th century monastic site and is made up of several different structures including the most notable, the large tower which stand at 110 feet.  This Tower is where the monks would hide when intruders would attack in earlier times.  At times, standing in the surrounding fields of The Burren I felt as if I was in a time warp. The only thing that would bring me back to reality was a modern home across the street..  
Hell Yeah!

Around The Burren the only thing that could be heard was the wind, birds and a random sheep bleating.  Looking at the surrounding area made me feel it was as if we had never moved past the Seventh Century which was amazing, but a little eerie as well as it puts your short life into perspective.  For me, it was one of those moments where I just felt so insignificant, but yet so full of joy.

I don't know how long we stayed at The Burren and to tell you the truth, I didn't care.  It didn't matter to me in that moment whether we made the next spot by nightfall; I would sleep in the car right here if I had too.  I took so many photos as if I could somehow capture this moment, and though the photos are nice, it just isn't the same as it never is with such things.
Leaving the Burren

It was overcast the day that we went, but in my mind I was already planning the day I would be able to return and see the sunset at this spot.  I can't even imagine how amazing that would be, but I hope to find out one day.

When we left it was hard to focus on the map that would lead us towards Dublin.  I almost just wanted to sit there in silence and take it in, but you just can't do that when you are in Ireland, otherwise you may miss the road that takes you to your next destination.  









No comments:

Post a Comment